But family night really made my day. We did a lesson about the importance of scriptures. After it was over, she was thumbing through the story book version of the New Testament and found a picture, pointed to it, and said, "That is Jesus Christ. He died for the people." So sweet!!! She's remembering what we're telling her. I know she doesn't fully understand what that means yet, but it was so great to know that she's learning it. Then for a little while after that she kept finding "Nephi" and giving little talks and closing, "in the name of Jesus Christ, amen". It really made me so happy.
James also loved family night. It's pretty cute how content he is when he is laying right in the middle of all of us. I really think it's his favorite thing. I think he feels like he is really a part of everything. It's been so fun for me to see recently how much Annie loves to include him in everything and how he relishes that. He adores her.
One other cute story, just because I don't want to forget it: Annie has become quite observant at church. I didn't know it until the other day when we had some friends over and she told me she wanted to bless the sacrament. (I should insert right here that I wish I'd handled this a little differently so she didn't imitate a sacred ordinance, but I didn't want her to get mad and have her have negative associations with the Sacrament.) She proceeded to get out a white wipe, lay it on the table, kneel down and say a (real) prayer, move the wipe as if uncovering the bread, pass pretend bread out, go back and move the wipe like she was covering the water and repeat the process. I had no idea she'd paid such close attention. Even though I wished I'd help her understand the Sacrament is too sacred to do pretend games about it, I'm proud of her for watching so intently.
2 comments:
call me a heretic, but i remember 'playing' sacrament when i was younger with my siblings and we all turned out fine. or better then fine actually (if i do say so myself). (:
especially at that young an age, there's no mocking or making fun of it going on - and that's what would be a problem. i think it's a great indicator that she's paying attention.
but that's just my opinion. (:
Grace will lay down in the bathtub and announce, "I'm getting baptized!" I've tried to explain she has to be 8 and needs someone with the priesthood to help her, but the pretend play continues.
Post a Comment