For the past hour since President Uctdorf's talk was given, I've been contemplating about the realities that I am unable to see. Do I ever neglect my family because a pressing task takes priority in the moment? Have I formed incorrect judgments about the character of my associates and missed their goodness? Are opportunities to serve the truly great presented to me, only for me to ignore them or consider them unworthy of my time?
This then led me to think of the book Blink (which I recently read). In the book, the author relates an experience where someone tried to sell a counterfeit of a type of statue called a kouros to the J Paul Getty museum in LA. The statue looked perfect and all of the tests that were performed on the statue led the experts to believe that the statue was real. There were a couple of experts, however, who felt that the statue was a fake. They couldn't explain how it was a fake, but they just knew, even though everything that their eyes saw told them that it was real. In the end, they were right. It was a fake.
So, I've set a new goal for the Christmas season. It is to see with the heart. Those words look corny on the page, but their intent is not shallow. On December 25 I want to be able to tell MaryAnne that I now realize a truth that I previously was oblivious to. I have no idea what it will be (hence the current state of oblivion), but I am anxious to find it.
No comments:
Post a Comment