Monday, December 14, 2009

A Confession.....

Do, re, me, Glee!

So, I'm pretty into Glee. Enough into it that I've seen all the episodes and really want the soundtrack. Embarrassed? You bet. Enough to stop watching? Not a chance. I got caught in the MPH lab the other day catching up on an episode that I missed and endured the snickers with grace. For those of you who haven't seen the show, it's about a show choir (glee club) made up of misfits who find a place to belong in the club, and happen to all already be professional-quality singers. The New York Times called it "blissfully unoriginal in a witty, imaginative way." I couldn't agree more. Fox ran the pilot last year after the American Idol finale, and while I did not see it then, I heard about it and watched the pilot online a week later. I was hooked. It plays on my past. Was I ever in a show choir? No comment. Did I go on tour with said show choir? No comment. Did I once dream of being in a boy band? Again, no comment. A few years ago I was in the BYU Student Service Association and worked with the clubs. Our whole mission was finding places of belonging for students, especially those who felt marginalized. I remember that BYUSA clubs once got an email from a girl's dad who told us how much the Tall Club had helped his vertically gifted daughter to find a strong network of friends (and dates). The show's got me on too many levels. So, I've watched the show struggle to find itself through the pitfalls of plots surrounding teenagers, but the last 3-4 shows have been much more impressive (and have allowed me to skip a lot fewer parts). I'm hoping Glee stays on the right track.

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I am not hooked on Glee, but I'm with Brad about the music - it's REALLY good. Also, I LOVE the scene of the football team dancing to "All the Single Ladies". That gets me every time.

Mike said...

So I thought this post was written by MaryAnne until the line that says "Did I ever wish I was in a Boy Band." Even then, I wasn't convinced that Brad would be watching this show. But MaryAnne's comment seals the deal. Brad, I'm a little suprised, but I after a few minutes of considering it I suppose I can only say more power to you.

Liz said...

I'm hooked on Glee too! And, like Mike, I also thought this was MaryAnne, even a little after the boy band thing because, let's be honest, MaryAnne is independent enough she would demand entrance into a boy band if that's what she wanted to do. In a good way.

PatrickandErica said...

I am so hooked on glee too! Totally love the songs they do - and also want the soundtrack. Although, I worry about recommending the show to anyone.... I could NOT watch it w/ my Mom or in-laws for example... ;)
Mars - "Put the Pickle Down"