Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thoughts from an Insomniac

Last night I finished my final assignment for school EVER! It was such a great feeling! I wanted to share my elation with someone, but Brad had long since gone to bed and no one was on g-chat to share in my joy (I was hoping my nursing friend or sister would come through for me, but no luck). I quickly got in bed, but I had no luck sleeping. I had so many emotions and thoughts running through my head. Some of them were quite trivial and some were quite poignant.

As I laid in bed, I contemplated being done with school, quite possibly forever. Initially I felt elated. It is an exciting thing to never have another deadline from a teacher again. The stress levels in my life are about to go WAY down. And most importantly, not being in school will allow me to focus on my daughter FULL TIME (watch out Annie, we are about to get really bonded).

But then I started thinking about my friends from my cohort. I teared up in bed thinking about how much I will miss each of them. I thought about the ways that each of them has impacted my life. I love that they have been a constant in my life for the past year and a half. I honestly love each one of them and it is going to break my heart to not see them very frequently. My mind raced with all the memories from the past year and a half. I thought about working ridiculously hard on a completion only paper, stress relieving ice cream runs, how loud the printer was in our corner of the lab, food talked about and shared, a visit in the hospital after Annie was born with cheddar and sour cream chips, trips, putting up with my highly emotional and pregnant state, etc. (It's made me tear up again . . .) This is the part of school I will desperately miss. I am a social creature. I've loved the skills and knowledge I've gained with this degree, but the people have MADE the experience for me.

On to my more trivial thoughts during the night . . . If anyone else was watching the Sing-Off, they will appreciate why I thought about it at 2:30 in the morning. I am TICKED that they kicked Noteworthy off. I am convinced that it was because they were LDS and not wearing little negligees on stage. The judges had nothing negative to say about the groups before that had pitch problems. Then they railed on the BYU girls who sounded SO much better than the other groups I heard. Discrimination. Hmph! It was definitely something worthy of losing sleep over. ;)

I think I had other trivial thoughts, but they are eluding me right now. And they were trivial, so probably not that important to blog about.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

first off, can i just say I am also still frustrated about the completion paper- we spent way too much time on that, but hey it turned out to be a good thing, right. I will miss you tons too (and of course the rest of the cohort that will end up reading this post and the comments). I am dreading these next two days.

Unknown said...

i am so proud and excited that you are finished with school. what an amazing feeling of accomplishment this must be for you. i know there are many emotions, but feel proud of your hard work and dedication and look forward to the doors opening up ahead. enjoy your bonding time with your beautiful annie. GO MaryAnne. xoxo