Tuesday, February 15, 2011

". . . that they may be light"

When we were deciding which school Brad should attend, we felt really good about him coming to Rochester. All along I sort of assumed that this was mostly for Brad - maybe there was a professor he needed to work with, an opportunity that he could only have here, a classmate who would need him, etc. And while all of these things may still be the case, I'm feeling more and more like the answer for us to come here was for me and for our whole family as well. I LOVE where we live!

We live in a married student housing complex with 17 other LDS families and several other LDS families that live close by. Almost none of us have family very close, so we get to rely on each other in a way that's quite different than when you are close to family. In the last couple of days, I have been helped by and been able to help several different people. I was so grateful both of those types of opportunities. I'm also grateful that I don't feel like the new kid on the block anymore who doesn't know anyone and doesn't have anyone to turn to. I really feel a part of this community and I love it! I love that my friends feel like they can ask me to help, and that I know I can do the same when I need things. It's such a great feeling. I spent the good majority of an hour-plus long drive today thinking about that. I'm grateful to live in a place where people are keeping their covenants "to bear one another's burdens THAT THEY MAY BE LIGHT". My burdens are lighter because of these opportunities.

Yesterday, I had an early birthday party for Annie. One of my friends watched Annie for an hour before, so that I could get everything set up. Annie was so excited for her party. We held it in the community room because so many of our friends and neighbors were able to come. We had so much fun! We played games, decorated cupcakes, sang Happy Birthday, and ate pizza. All day after Annie kept talking about what she had done for her party. The clean-up was so quick because most of the moms stayed to help. :) Thanks to everyone who came and helped! Annie really does love all of your children.

The pictures are courtesy of another friend. I brought my camera, but then didn't really use it.

Then last night we had another friend watch Annie so we could have a Valentine's date. I love swapping with other moms for baby-sitting. Annie adores the time to play with the other kids, and we adore a date every so often.

Then today I had a friend ask if we could watch her son this morning. It turned out she didn't need it (her husband stayed home because he was a little under the weather), but I was so glad she felt she could ask. On my way home from a doctor's appointment, my other friend called to say she was on her way to the Buffalo airport and had forgotten her wallet. I was happy that I had no pressing plans, so that I could meet them halfway and help her get on her flight. When one of my friends heard I was doing this, she graciously offered to let Annie play at her house so that she wouldn't have to sit in the car anymore today. It also saved me from the 20-minute catnap that would have inevitably happened in the car and "counted" for her regular nap.

We've also come home to delicious Valentine treats on our porch twice now! :)

I feel so happy to live in such a great place with so many covenant-keeping neighbors and friends.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great feeling and community to be in. It's nice that yall have made friends who are close and helpful. Friends become family. So thankful for all of your beautiful blessings. xoxo

Lisa C said...

Thanks so much for your help with the wallet! Whipple Park is the best, and even though we already live really close, I can't help but hope you get to move in next door!

Bethany said...

I love this post, MaryAnne! I'm so happy that you are all feeling so settled in there and are loving it so much. It sounds like you have a great community there and a wonderful support network. Keep on enjoying it! :) Love you guys!