Saturday, January 8, 2011

Romantic Getaway v. Family Vacation

A few months ago Brad's parents listened to some spiel (sp?) about Doubletree hotels and earned a free night's stay. However, it turns out there are no Doubletrees in Utah, so over the break they asked us if we'd like to have a night away when when we got back to Rochester. Of course we were game - a romantic getaway sounded great to both of us.

I kept thinking I'd think of the perfect person to ask to baby-sit for us, but it turns out most of our friends here live in two bedroom apartments, just like we do, and have no room for a second or third child, so I would have felt bad putting someone out like that. Also, Annie didn't have the best sleeping record for the last month, so I was hesitant to ask any of our friends to deal with an uncooperative child. Thus, I had to make the mental switch of thinking of this as a romantic getaway to a family vacation.

The family vacation turned out to be SO much fun! The hotel had a pool, which Annie LOVED. She was so, so cute! I feel so bad I didn't bring my camera. She couldn't stop saying, "I swimming. I swimming." Brad was so good with her. He helped her kick her legs and "pull water" with her arms. She did pretty well blowing bubbles as well. She wasn't the greatest sleeper because she was in the same room as us, but once we all got settled, she did fine.

The morning was fantastic and relaxed. We exercised in the workout room. The treadmill was so nice - it made me feel like I could run forever. I'm trying to be safe, so I only ran 3 miles, but it felt so good. We went for another dip in the pool as well. Annie was at least as excited about swimming in the morning as she had been the night before. And we topped off the morning with these fantastic bagels from a Jewish bagel place. I never knew that bagels were a Jewish specialty, but one of Brad's teachers (who is Jewish) only ever buys bagels from Jews because he swears they know how to make them better. In any case, if you're ever in Rochester, Brownstein's is the place to get your bagels. They were delicious!

All in all, I'm really glad things worked out like they did. Yay for family vacations!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

glad to hear things are going well for your sweet family. we think about yall so often and pray good blessings for everyone. take care and keep the updates coming. xoxo