A very happy MLK, Jr. day to everyone out there! Brad and I both have relatives that refuse to celebrate this holiday (for various reasons, don't fret, they are not members of the KKK), but we both love it! I love to think about how far America has come in the pursuit of civil rights for everyone. I know we're not perfect by a long shot, but it's GREAT to live in a country where we are making progress!
We had a fantastic day! Brad had the day off school, but not studying. He got up super early, so that he'd be done in the early afternoon and he made several cameos throughout the morning. Annie and I started off the day by making Stephen's Best Darn Waffles (Brad's dad's special recipe). And darn, they were good! We then headed over to the library for Bubblemania (thanks to Katie for the great suggestion). The library brought in this crazy Syracuse professor that does all sorts of tricks with bubbles to entertain a roomful of kids. The man was amazing with bubbles-I kid you not, we saw a cube-shaped bubble. Annie liked it for a little while and then wanted to leave to play in the discovery room there.
After Annie's nap, we took Annie on her very first sledding excursion. She loved it, especially that she got to go fast with Daddy (who is her current favorite person in the world).
She also particularly enjoyed getting chased down the hill by a dog. Brad swears the dog jumped on the sled with them for a minute. It was pretty funny to watch.
For my birthday in September, my friend Ashley gave me a subscription to America's Test Kitchen's magazine. We decided to try an onion-mustard pork recipe out tonight. After we finished Brad exclaimed, "That has got to be one of the best pork dishes I've ever eaten!" Thanks Ash!
To finish off the evening, we had possibly our most successful family night ever. Annie learned to identify the prophet, sing "Follow the Prophet" (we're pretty sure nursery helped her with that, so thanks), and use the up key on the computer. We even read a verse of scripture to top it all off. Annie also gave us a performance of "The ABC Song" for our activity.
Such a great day . . . If only Brad got to be home every day!
5 comments:
Yay for ATK!!
I love that you guys had such a wonderful day! :) And dad is totally Carver's favorite person, too!--he always asks about "Da-ee" and gets so excited to see him. I'm SO impressed with Annie's ABC's!! Well done! :) Love you guys!
Happy MLK Jr. day! I always think of the time we made MLK Jr. pancakes. We had pancakes, but I forgot to make MLK jr ones. I'm glad you had a good one!
America's Test Kitchen is the best thing ever - great gift idea! I'm glad to see that all is well at the Hunter House :)
Post a Comment