Hello blogosphere friends! I'm coming to you humbly to seek your advice. I LOVE my children, but one of them (really hard to guess which one, I'm sure) is driving me crazy. I would really like to have more positive interactions with said child and not feel like every moment is either a battle or about to become a battle. We deal with tantrums over minutia daily. But we also have issues with obedience (e.g., Please don't go in the road or please come in the house). Will you please post your recommendations for the best parenting books or tips? It's kind of hard to admit you need help, but I really do, so please comment away.
P.S. Happy Columbus Day everyone!
7 comments:
in my opinion - http://deseretbook.com/Choosing-Glory-Lili-De-Hoyos-Anderson/i/5036546
not a parenting book, but it has a really good chapter on parenting. and there's a lot of other really good information in there too.
i've often heard my mom say - 'you have to be more stubborn than the child.' which isn't a bad thing to keep in mind either.
good luck!
I don't know of any books, but time-outs seem to work for us. Just the threat of a time out usually works, but every kid is different. I count to three, and if Naomi isn't obeying by the third count, she gets a time out (which sometimes requires dragging and screaming). She thought they were funny at first, but after keeping it up, she really started to hate them and that's when she started listening.
I really wish I had advice but my child has broken ears and still won't listen to me...Good luck and let me know if you find any thing that works;)
Ah, I "out" myself as a blog stalker/lurker so rarely, but I feel that this book is worth it: Positive Discipline, 0-3. Once she's 3, switch to Positive Parenting for Preschoolers, by the same author. Good luck! :)
I don't have any great advice for you since Charlotte is in the same boat. But I wanted to say two things.
1. You're not alone in this, like I said our sweet Charlotte is going through the same stage and it's so hard and so tiring.
2. I'm glad you put it out there and asked for advice. It's not an easy thing to do and I admire you for taking charge on getting help. I'm anxious to pick up a couple of these books myself! :)
I like to read other people's advice too. I also like 1-2-3 Magic. I haven't read the other recommended books so I'm not sure if it's better than the others, but it has been helpful for us. Good luck. It's hard. I'm sorry!
I have a few parenting strategies pinned on my pinterest account http://pinterest.com/chillygator/kid-things/
Obviously I don't have kids, so will you test them out and let me know if they work? (o:
Love you, Mars! Hope I get to visit soon.
Post a Comment