Monday, October 18, 2010

Catch Up Post

I've been a super lazy blogger, so after loading several older pictures onto my computer, I'm ready to photo dump.

University of Rochester photos:

We took these pictures during our first few days when Brad's mom was here. The campus really is beautiful. George Eastman was the owner of Kodak (HQ for Kodak are in Rochester), and he donated most of the money to start the University of Rochester. When I was walking around campus one day I heard the beginning of a tour about the campus where the guide said that Eastman really hoped that the school would be part of the ivy league, so he only wanted red brick buildings with ivy growing on them all over campus. He also didn't want any buildings named after him, but they fudged a little and named a grassy area in the main part of campus after him.



White Coat Ceremony:

So apparently this white coat ceremony is a big deal in medical families, or maybe just in general. Every single student had at least one parent fly/drive in for the event, with the exception of all five Mormons in the new class. :)

I spent most of my time in the hall with Annie. I'm sort of used to church where most people don't fuss too much if Annie makes a little bit of noise, provided she's not screaming at the top of her lungs. I did not get that much leeway in this setting. People were shooting me not-so-subtle glances when Annie said "Daddy!" as Brad paraded in. On the bright side, this is where we first really got to know Bryce, Annie's little best friend here.

Wine and Cheese Party:

Everyone here is obsessed with a store called Wegmans. Initially, we went to one that was not that big or that nice and we were not overly impressed. However, a few weeks later we stumbled on another one of these stores and this one convinced us that everyone here is right - Wegmans really is amazing. Their cheese section had me drooling. I was dying to try all of it, but I knew we could never afford to buy it all on our student budget. Then we struck on a grand idea - wine and cheese party! We invited a bunch of the people in Brad's class that are in committed relationships to come to our house for a wine and cheese party. Everyone brought a different type of cheese, and we provided baguette slices and non-alcoholic wine for everyone. (It was great we found non-alcoholic chardonnay!) The cheese was amazing! FYI, a drop or two of honey on goat cheese is fantastic!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love it! Way to go for the photo dump! You guys are being so outgoing out there! Way to go!

PatrickandErica said...

I remember my sis talking about Wegmans. I am sooo going to have to have to have a wine & cheese party -love it!- Patrick says if I weren't mormon I'd be French! It is so so pretty & green there - watch out for winter!!