Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wall of Shame

Today I blew it and this post is my attempt to do penance for my mistake.

Brad and I have talked for a couple of weeks about how he needs a haircut before he goes to his next med school interview. We timed it very strategically - he couldn't have one last week before the U's interview because we didn't want him to look quite so much like the typical freshly returned missionary from BYU. But he has an interview this weekend at the Medical College of Wisconsin (near Chicago - if he gets in there, everyone should come visit us) and we wanted a freshly cut look for that interview. (This is a great place to look like a typical BYU student because they love BYU students there.) So this morning we set out to give him a haircut.

Normally I start each haircut by doing his whole head with a #8 clipper, so I put that on and then realized I forgot to oil the blade. I took the clipper off, oiled it, and without thinking started cutting with no clipper on at all! I did one cut, saw it, and fell to pieces. I proceeded to cry for about the next hour. I was certain that I had ruined his interview. I also felt so embarrassed because I knew all of our friends and family would know that I'm the only who spaced the clipper and did that to him. (This post is an attempt to not let him cover for me.)

I am, however, maybe the most fortunate girl ever because I have a husband who immediately laughed it off and comforted me. (Though in the comforting process he listed lots of people we know who've done the same thing and the first couple he listed was some of our friends who got divorced - great comfort.) He was super positive and told me that it was going to help him on his interview. I felt so happy to have married someone who reacted like that instead of getting mad at me for shearing him. It made me think about Elder Wirthlin's final talk (an apostle in the LDS church) where he counseled people that if they would look back and laugh about a situation in later years, why not just laugh about it now? I'm so glad Brad did. Maybe someday soon, I'll be able to laugh about it too.


(Notice the thumbs up)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

poor baby....i can only imagine how bad you felt...i would feel the same way. how wonderful to have such an AMAZING husband to laugh it off and comfort you. you are great people and we miss you. i'm still pulling for brad to get accepted here in san antonio, tx. you will be able to laugh about this one day. xoxo

Laura said...

Haha, I'm laughing too. :-) I did a similar thing to Jonathan but since we usually cut his with a #2 all over it wasn't a big deal.

Bobbie said...

I repeat--this is a reason to have a blog. Instead of crying, you take a picture and blog about it! It's very therapeutic. Keep that in mind when Annie is a toddler and you can either cry or take a picture and blog about her antics.

The Reichmans said...

I know you felt horrible, but it made me laugh. don't worry I did that to pete once, but I did it over both his ears. We called them his leukemia spots-now that I write that it doesn't really make any sense that we called them that but we thought it was funny at the time... I hope the interview went well.

PatrickandErica said...

Hilarious! Isn't funny how when one person does something wrong, the other one has to do the comforting and "it's okay"-ing? Patrick and I have fights EVERY hair cut - honestly, why does it have to be such a stressful event! ;)
Actually, I do a pretty good job these days, if I do say so myself.
I hope the interview goes great... and that you end up at the UofA med school... hee hee, j/k.

ashmae said...

CRAPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

ashmae said...

Maryanne, don't worry, I think it looks really cutting edge, no pun intended. Brad is a good man, and you are a good wife. I'm glad it ended in some laughter.