Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Happenings

I wrote this a couple of days ago, but kept not posting it because I didn't have any pictures to put with it yet. But now I think if I don't post it right now, I won't do it at all. So sorry that there are no pictures.

We had an eventful Labor Day weekend. We started off the weekend with a quick jaunt down to Lake Powell with my classmates from my program. It was fantastic! We waterskiied, wakeboarded, and surfed - we also had a ton of fun with my classmates. I know it sounds cheesy, but I really do love the people I go to school with. It's been really fun this semester too because Brad is doing his MPH really fast, so he's taking all the second year classes (my year) and all the first year classes. I love that he's really getting to know and become friends with my classmates, independent of me. We took Annie with us, which makes things a little harder (of course), but she did pretty well, so no complaints here. We left Saturday night just in time to hear the last few minutes of the BYU game! Unfortuntately for us, the reception near Lake Powell was poor, so our game had the Mexican hat dance interspersed between plays. Despite the muffled reception is was so fun to listen to. Wow! How 'bout them Cougs! That's a game that will go down in BYU football history.

The next day was my 26 year old birthday. On Mother's Day I had tried to hint around at what I wanted, but Brad didn't pick up on it and I was sort of upset. After that fiasco he told me that I should always just tell him what I really want and then he will be happy to do it for me. So I told him up front that what I wanted for my birthday was a big breakfast (not in bed). Only later, did I realize I'd asked him to do that on fast Sunday. Once I realized this, I told him not to do it because that would just be mean. So he's promised that he'll make it for me later this week. :) We had a dinner that evening with all my family, which was really fun. We had steaks, roasted veggies, bran breadsticks (way yummier than they sound), chicken, homemade peach/raspberry ice cream, lemon cream cake, and chocolate cake. It was delicious!

Today, I accomplished a goal I set probably about 5 years ago - I ran a half marathon! Brad and I have been training for the last couple of months and we finally did it today. We are too cheap to enter into a real race (we thought of a lot of things we would rather do with the $70), so we ran the "Brad and MaryAnne" Half, complete with a water break and a cheering crowd (in the form of my sister and nieces and nephew). We basically did the Provo Half trail. You start up South Fork and then run down to Will's (we had to add a little to that). We felt really good and did it a little faster than we thought we would. We averaged 9:30s. Brad could have gone a lot faster, but I was grateful he stayed with me. Then to top off the day, Brad's parents called and asked if they could take us to lunch at Ruby River for my birthday and my mom wanted to treat us to a movie tonight.

Overall, it's been a great Labor Day/Birthday weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

way to go on the run girlie....you rock. i'm glad you had a great birthday. i'm glad to keep up with yall through your blogs. i've really enjoyed them. maybe one day i'll figure out how to do one too. let us know if brad gets into the medical school in san antonio....that would be soo great. take care sweetie. xoxo

McGuire's said...

MaryAnne!!! i'm so happy you have a blog! I'm not very good with facebook, blogs are more fun to me. Your little Annie is so cute! There is a picture below with her little cousin I think you wrote, and I really thought they were twins. So Happy Birthday and good job on the marathon! One day I think that would be really good for me to do. If I could get the motivation... Way to do it!