Monday, August 31, 2009

Eating Like Kings

I always feel a little nostalgic when the summer ends because it means so many great things are over. But one of the things I will miss most this year is the fresh fruits and vegetables. We live with my sister and she has a garden and all summer we've been literally reaping the benefits. I LOVE garden tomatoes! All of the kids in my family teased my parents because they always said you shouldn't even call garden tomatoes and store bought tomatoes the same things, so we called the garden ones "gardenatoes". We've been making these paninis with gardenatoes that are to die for - ham, pesto, gouda, and a gardenato. We also made delicious BLTs with the gardenatoes. Just thinking about all these foods is making me hungry. I LOVE the fresh corn on the cob! It's so yummy with just a little bit of salt and pepper (and if I went on a long run a little bit of butter too).

One night when we had a dinner that was almost entirely fresh fruits and veggies, Brad looked at me and said, "We are eating like kings. This is the kind of meal that kings would have had back in the day, and now, as poor college students, we get to eat like Kings." It was such a great thought!

Even though I'm sad for all this good eating to come to an end relatively soon, I'm excited because we've been able to preserve some of our royal food to have later in the year. The other day Brad spent his last day of summer bottling 20 quarts of fresh peaches! We've also made lots of blackberry jam. I think both of these treats will remind me in December of the days when we ate like royalty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

how wonderful to have that beautiful, healthy, and delicious foods. glad yall were able to save some for later....what a great way to take you back to those memories with a tasty treat. hope all is well with your beautiful family. xoxo