Sunday, September 20, 2009

Does your child struggle to get things that are out of her reach? . . . Always.

The last time I went in for Annie's check-up the doctor's office asked me to complete a developmental screening questionnaire. One of the questions was "Does your child struggle to get things that are out of her reach?" My choices were always, sometimes, or never. I didn't really know if Annie did that or not. I think I checked "sometimes" and moved on. But since that time either I have paid attention to it more or she's really started doing it more. (I took her in for that appointment a couple of weeks before her 6 month birthday because she is part of a meningococcal disease vaccine study.) I took these pictures of her and the mess I was confronted with when I got out of the shower the other morning. That same day she broke our snack master machine when I had it sitting by her while I was trying to make lunch. She grabbed hold of it (from her Bumbo) and launched it off the counter. I had no idea she would be strong enough to move it. The worst part of it was that she looked SO pleased with herself for making such a loud banging sound.
















Despite all these new antics, I told Brad today that 6 months is my favorite stage. I wish Annie could stay 6 months old forever. She is so cute right now! She's super playful with just about everyone she sees (especially if she's just eaten and/or slept). She's doing a lot better at sleeping in her crib at nights. She's learning to wave and loves exploring new hand motions in the process. She doesn't crawl yet. She's just so fun at this stage! I love it!

I don't know if any of you follow this blog because you don't see us very often, but just in case I think I'll give a brief update of our lives right now. We have three classes together this semester, which I was a little worried about (I thought I'd feel bad if Brad were smarter than I was), but it's been great. I still think Brad's the smartest, but I just love being in his group for things. I always think his comments are the best, and it's so fun to spend two full days a week together. I'm still working on finishing up my master's project. Brad has several other classes as well and he's been busy with medical school interviews, which we are so grateful for. The earliest he could possibly hear back from any schools is October 15th, so we're keeping our fingers crossed for an acceptance notification sometime around that day!

5 comments:

PatrickandErica said...

Wow Mars, she looks a lot like you! And this is just the beginning of a LONG list of things she'll break. I too would be nervous to take a class with my husband -he is a much more dedicated student than I was... Brad can't be any match for you though -he'll probably be copying your homework? ;)
Best of luck on getting in to Med school! PS - I hear the UofA med school in Tucson is very good...

Unknown said...

maryanne, I hope annie looked as pleased as you did when you spilled the salt and your mom thought it was sugar! lunch on campus soon?

Laura said...

I agree, 6 months is a great age. Can't wait to hear how all the interviews go.

Unknown said...

Annie is sooo beautiful and i can't believe she is already 6 months old. Glad to hear school is going well for you two and we are excited to hear about Brad's medical school.....we are pulling for San Antonio (but that's just me) Take care of your wonderful family. xoxo

Ashley said...

We've been saying "this is the best age!" since Sarah was tiny. It only gets more fun, believe it or not! (at least through 20 months- we'll keep you posted. ;)) Like when your baby puts both hands on her face and says "oh, no!" or tells you she wants to be Elmo for Halloween. . . (luckily I talked her into a leopard costume at Costco:))