Monday, November 1, 2010

Grandma and Papa come to visit

After 5 cancelled flights, 2 snowstorms, 1 rotten night in a hotel, and countless inept American Airlines workers, my parents arrived in Rochester. Who knew it was so difficult to fly across the country in 2010? I was THRILLED when they finally arrived! I've been anticipating this trip since the day we pulled out of Provo. It was so fun to have my parents here, to let them see where we live, to have them meet our new friends, and especially to give them time to bond with Annie. She adores Grandma and Papa. I almost never held her the entire trip. She didn't want me to wipe her stickies, to buckle her, to hold her hand, etc. She loves her grandparents!

We crammed a lot into the few days that they were here, but I didn't always have my camera. If my mom comes through and sends me her pictures, I will add a few more pictures, so feel free to check back for updates.

Wednesday: Watkins Glen

I am so grateful that they were able to get here to enjoy Wednesday ( a couple of the potential flight scenarios would have had them arriving on Thursday or later); it was our only perfect weather day. And the leaves were so much more beautiful that day than any other. We left almost immediately from the airport to Watkins Glen. Brad and I went there a week or two ago and I really wanted my parents to see it. The colors were beautiful and Annie loved hiking by the water with Papa (it was her favorite picture to look at on my mom's camera the rest of the week in the car). That night after we got home, Mom and I headed to Relief Society for a book and soup review. I reviewed the book Wild Swans. You should all read it if you haven't. It's fascinating! Mom loved getting to know people she'd heard about from me.

Thursday: Public Market, Strong National Museum of Play, George Eastman House, and the Creperie

On Thursday morning I took my parents to Rochester's farmers' market. My dad confessed that he thought it was silly that I was so excited about a market, but he loved it once he got there. He's something of a fruit connoisseur, so it was heaven for him to go around and find the best fruit that Rochester has to offer. (It was heaven for the others of us to enjoy the "fruits" of his labors the rest of the week.)

We went right from the public market to the Strong National Museum of Play. If any of you choose to visit us, this place is a must. It's an incredible museum. It's got stuff to entertain children of all ages. It was so fun to watch my parents play and play with Annie. Annie talked about the giant that Papa moved for the rest of the week. She loved riding on the "neigh neigh" with Grandma as well.





That afternoon we were lucky that Brad had a little time off to come with us. We went to the George Eastman house. George Eastman was the founder of Kodak and gave most of the money to start the University of Rochester. We loved learning more about him!

Finally, we went to a DELICIOUS crepe restaurant for dinner and dessert! Wow! I loved it! Every single crepe I tried (6?) was amazing! Crepes are one of my favorite foods, so I was in heaven!

Friday: Palmyra and Ward Trunk or Treat

We spent the bulk of Friday in Palmyra, but we made a quick stop at Wegman's on the way there. Here again, my dad was a bit of naysayer until we went in. It's quite the grocery store. If only it had pumpkin donuts all year round . . .

I dropped my parents off to do a session while Annie and I hit up the bishops' storehouse for wheat, and she had her (short) nap. We visited Joseph Smith's farmhouse, bigger house, the Sacred Grove, the Hill Cumorah, and the printing press where the Book of Mormon was first published. I love living so close to these Church history sites! Each time I've visited them I feel my testimony confirmed that this is Jesus Christ's church on the earth today.

That night we went to our ward Halloween party/trunk-or-treat activity. Mom was surprised every time someone actually knew who Annie was. I didn't think we being too stealth with the Yoda costume. Thanks to Bobbie for lending us Annie's costume. Annie was in a less than pleasant mood for a good portion of the evening, as the pictures reflect.

Saturday: Niagara Falls

We went to Niagara Falls on Saturday morning. It was super windy and quite cold, but the falls were amazing. The last time I was there (several years ago), I was underwhelmed because I'd seen Igauzu Falls a few years before. However, my low expectations were totally exceeded. This time I loved it.
That afternoon (after a fantastic Whipple Park Halloween party), we visited the University of Rochester campus and the Mt. Hope cemetery. We were all so exhausted by that point that Brad and I only mustered up the energy to take Annie to about 4 houses to trick-or-treat. Luckily she didn't mind too much.

Sunday: Church

We had a nice Sabbath. We went to church, went on a beautiful and chilly walk, ate a delicious dinner (roasted veggies, stuffed pork chops, and Texas sheet cake), and showed Mom and Dad around the medical school. Very unfortunately, after that they had to leave.

We have all been missing them so much since they left! It was such a great trip!

1 comment:

Rosemary T said...

Looks like so much fun! Have you been to "Niagara on the Lake?" If you go, buy butter tarts and eat just one :)
Heard the news about your parents. Where will they be serving?