Monday, March 4, 2013

Happy Golden Birthday James!

On March 2 James had his golden 2-year old birthday. Overall, I'd say he was pretty delighted with the day. At first I'm not sure he understood that all the celebrations were for him, but unfortunately we did a great job of helping him understand that fact by the end of the day. So well that when I said something to Annie about her upcoming birthday at breakfast this morning, he said, "No. My birthday." Shoot.

(Note: We DO NOT eat this much junk everyday.)
We started out the morning with waffles with ice cream and berries and/or syrup. So delicious! I've been craving it for over a week now. My brother called during breakfast prep and when I handed James the phone, James quickly yelled, "Happy birthday!" He was getting in the swing of things.

Annie actually had a birthday party for a friend (we seem to know an unusual number of people born on March 2) in the morning, so Brad and I took James on a trip to the Museum of Play all by himself. He almost didn't know what to do with himself without Annie dictating where he go at every minute. Since it was a special occasion, he even got to ride the choo-choo train with Daddy.

We asked him what he wanted for lunch and he responded, "Uh bagel. Uh donut." And since he was the birthday boy, he got a bagel and a donut. As did Annie. (We forced bananas at this point as well.)

During his nap, Brad, Annie and I created this choo-choo train cake masterpiece. But after making (and tasting multiple times) the frosting and decorating with loads (literally . . . haha) of candy, I couldn't stomach the thought of eating it when the time came. I was all sweeted out. Luckily James was not.
Michael came over for dinner. We opened presents first and then had some pizza for dinner. And of course, finished the day with cake. :)






James is such a wonderful boy! He's definitely entered the terrible twos (his nursery leader told me he's started terrorizing the other kids, when he'd always been one of the easy ones), but even in this stage, he still has a remarkably tender side. For example, when he opened his present from Michael which had lots of candy, he immediately took one for himself and walked one over to Annie. He adores Annie. When I visited Elizabeth in California, I had to wake James up from a nap, and in his totally groggy state his first words were, "I go Annie!" He is still super fun-loving. One of his favorite things to do with Brad right now is have Brad hold him and jump in a circle. He is learning to count, mostly because he LOVES to play hide'n'seek with Annie. He usually skips several numbers, but it's pretty cute. He is obsessed with brushing his teeth. He should have the best oral hygiene of any two-year old out there. He loves singing and does really well remembering the words AND actions to lots of songs. My favorite is when we do "5 little monkeys swinging in a tree" because he puts his hands way far apart to do the snap part. He is generally pretty tough - well at least he wants nothing more for a bonk than a kiss and it's all better. And he's super polite. He says thank you to me all the time unsolicited. This may be a funny place to record this, but since this is my record, here goes. He really seems to love the Savior already. He loves to point him out in pictures and things, but one day when he was doing that, I really had an impression that he would have a strong love of the Savior throughout his life. We love him and can't imagine our family without him!

No comments: