Thursday, January 24, 2013

Comeuppance

I've always known that Annie was a lot like me, but now I'm starting to feel my own stubbornness come homing back to me on the wings of my own daughter.

When I was a teenager, most adults loved me. I was very respectful to most authority figures. BUT as soon as my mom tried to point something out, her idea was immediately shut down. Almost every Sunday I went to my mom's room with two outfits. I would ask her which I should wear. She would state her preference, and I almost invariably chose the other one. I didn't do it on purpose - I couldn't help myself. And every time my mom would suggest an idea for a Personal Progress project, I would tartly tell her that that was her idea, but I wanted to use my own idea (not that I had any).

Well, Annie is assigned to give her very first talk in Primary on Sunday. Her topic is "I am a child of God and He has a plan for me." I came up with a very nice, short talk for her. I was trying to work with her today on learning the different parts of it, and every time I did she would say something akin to, "Nooooooooooooo! I don't want to do my talk YOUR way! I want to do my talk MY way!" Sometimes those ways involved talking about Jesus and telling a different scripture story than what I'd included (which in all reality would be fine - not cohesive, but fine). And sometimes they involved talking about her recent trip to Utah. Sunday could be a big bust . . .

P.S. I'd like to point out that tiny snowman in the upper right-hand corner. Let it never be said that I didn't build a snowman with my children. :)

3 comments:

Lisa C said...

This REALLY makes me want to attend primary on Sunday!

Ashley said...

haha wish i could go to your primary on sunday. dont worry about it, her talk will be awesome, and she might giggle all the way through and not get a word out either way so dont worry! oh and I cant believe annie is a sunbeam, what happened!

Laura Tanner said...

Hopefully it went well. If she's willing to wing it at the microphone at age 3, I say build on that skill. We don't even have the sunbeams in our ward give talks until halfway through the year because most of them would hide their heads and not say anything at all.