Saturday, March 27, 2010

A very belated birthday post


This is my very belated birthday post - Annie's birthday was over two weeks ago. Annie had a fantastic birthday and birthday weekend. Thanks to everyone who helped with that!

My sister's in-laws have a cute tradition of decorating the kitchen table on people's birthdays. They decorate with pictures and the cake and the presents, and things the person likes. I think it's a cute tradition, so here's a picture of Annie's birthday table.

We had my sister's family and my parents come over for a pancake breakfast. Annie loved the pancakes! She also loved all the attention and opening some cute presents.

After we'd gotten ready, we went over to singing time at the library, which is one of Annie's favorite activities. In the afternoon we went up to Brad's parents and had dinner and the bear cake. We let her have her own huge piece. She started off gingerly taking a piece here and a piece there, but by the end she had it everywhere. I think she liked the fact that everyone was watching her even more than she liked the cake. There will be more pictures on this to follow. We forgot our camera for that, so I still have to get some pictures from my sister-in-law.

Then on Sunday we had a big family dinner and birthday celebration with my family for all the March birthdays. Annie had her own piece of cake at this party too. She followed the same pattern on this piece.


I'd say her first birthday was a major success. :)

Every day she's getting more skills and figuring out more things. I love it! She is at such a fun, inquisitive stage.

She LOVES singing. She does the actions to the Jumbo Elephant and There Was a Little House songs really well. Every time we ask her if she wants to sing a song, she starts waving her arm like we do in the Jumbo Elephant song. She's really good with her fine motor skills (like doing all the actions to songs), not so much with her gross motor skills (like walking). She also loves to dance. Brad's parents are letting us borrow a clavinova that plays songs. Claire and Susie (her cousins who live upstairs) found this out and love to come down and dance. She watched them and now she pulls herself up on the piano bench and bounces her knees up and down so that her little bum shakes. I ADORE it! She can imitate (and I think understands) "all done". She says "Ba Ba Ba" for "bear" (because we always call it a bear bear bear - it's from a song). She says moo for the cow, clicks her tongue for the chicken, and puts her finger over her lips for the bunny. On a good day she'll say woof for the dog. She loves to wave bye bye and claps anytime anyone cheers. She loves to give daddy hugs and mommy and her bear wide, open mouth kisses. She is SUCH a pleasant little girl - usually even when she's tired or hungry. Brad and I feel so lucky to be her parents!

3 comments:

lauren ann said...

She is already 1 ?!? I swear you just had her yesterday. Looks like a fun party!

Unknown said...

The pictures are wonderful. She is such a beauty....must take after her mommy...lucky Brad to have two beautiful ladies. I LOVE the pictures of her in the dishwasher....always into something. Hope everything else is going well for you guys. xoxo

Ashley said...

I agree with Lauren, I cant believe that she is 1 already! It seems like yesterday we were in the lab waiting for her to come and talking about how classes would be without you! Congratulations! I love her little ponytail!